12 August, 2011

12 August 2011

No CFSB for me today.  Just straight WOD.  When I first saw the WOD I thought yeah it will be a little hard but no big deal should just breeze through it.  I should have known better.  As you will learn when CrossFitting, the WODs that appear easier tend to not be easy at all.

Run 400m
then 5 rounds

12 deadlifts
9 hang power clean
7 front squats
5 push jerk

then run 400m
Time: 19:09
Weight 80% of max push jerk.  For me I used 125#

The first run went as expected.  Got to the bar and knocked out the deadlifts easily.  Then came the hang power cleans.  I didn't realize what I was doing wrong until Coach Lori pointed it out to me.  While yes I was dipping, as I was starting my drive, I was actually pulling my arms way before my hips were fully extended and I was not shrugging.  What does this all mean?  This means I was muscling up all of the weight wasting precious energy on doing something I did not need to do.  After she noticed, I concentrated on "the relay race"  The relay race is the race you have with your body when it comes to a lift.  In this case for the hang power clean, you first dip, then the first thing that goes in the drive is you are driving your legs to full extension.  Then you need to open your hips fully.  As soon as your hips are open you need to shrug with your shoulders and get some scarecrow arms going to get that bar up.  Fast elbows to get underneath that bar!  Of course all of this is done very fast.

By the time the first round was done I knew this was going to be more challenging then first thought.  It was completed though!  A very good WOD.  Looking forward to see what tomorrow will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment