05 August, 2011

05 August 2011

For this Friday at Impavidus we had a Coach WOD.  That means one of our coaches created a WOD based on what they like and then we do it!  Today the WOD was created by Coach Marc.  As Coach Marc is quite fond of kettlebells, guess what the WOD involved?

30 KB Swings (1.5 pood)
You have 1 minute to get 30 KB swings.
Perform this workout one minute on and one minute off. Total time is 12 minutes.
If you do not get 30 KB Swings in 1 minute, count a penalty.
For Every penalty counted, perform 10 Burpees.
Total penalties: 6

This is of course the American swing.  In CrossFit, it is always the American swing for Rx.  Now this reminded me of when I went to regionals and saw the 11.4 WOD, the 100s chipper.  While watching, I noticed that several athletes were actually snatching the KB up rather then doing the whole swing motion.  I talked to Coach Nate (he was with us) about it and he said that you will be using your shoulders more snatching it but it still counts as the goal is to get the KB over your head, arms locked, bell up.  On 06 July we had a WOD with KB (thank you Beyond the Whiteboard for providing an awesome tool for me to keep track of my WODs so I can look back and reference them) and I figured I would try to snatch the 1.5 pood to see if I could do it.  I mean 1.5 pood what's the big deal right?  Yeah I got humbled real quick.  I managed I think 5 snatches before I went back to the regular swing method.  Fast forward to this morning.  The 1.5 pood sitting on the floor mocking me for not being able to snatch it.  This time I won!  I was able to snatch for each round the first 15-20 before going to the standard swing.  While I may have not have finished the WOD without some penalties, it was still something to smile about.

Hey look at that, measurable progress.  I'm pretty sure I've heard that before.....

No comments:

Post a Comment