04 August, 2011

04 August 2011

Apologies for not writing yesterday.  Just getting back home, unpacking, all of that fun stuff made me run out of time.

So on 02 August, I worked out at CrossFit SoCal for the last time of my trip.  The scheduled WOD was Jackie however Coach Rich had another suggestion.  One of the athletes, Saum, had made up a WOD he called Felony.  Felony is Annie but with the addition of tire sledgehammers.  Seeing as I have not yet had the opportunity to swing a sledgehammer on a tire, I knew it was something I couldn't pass up.  So we did the standard warm-up and no lift for today.  Went over the proper swinging technique for the sledgehammer and off we all went!  It was Coach Rich, Jen, and yours truly knocking out Felony.

Felony

50-40-30-20-10 rep rounds of

Tire Sledgehammer
Double unders
Sit-ups
Time: 12:00

I found out the hard way that when bringing you hands together as you come down with the sledgehammer, it is a very good idea to loosen your grip as your hand slides down to the bottom.  Doing so prevents you from getting a blister near your thumb.  Of course, I didn't realize this until AFTER the WOD was done.  As you can guess, I got blisters.  A good lesson learned.  It will not need repeating.  I had a great time Woding with SoCal this past week and I'm sad to be leaving.  I hope that the next time I'm in the area it will be for a lot longer.  I learned a lot the short week I was with them and will incorporate it in all of my training in the future.

Yesterday back at Impavidus, we said hello to Eva.  This was the first time for me with her and wow did she prove to be bad.  We had a 30 minute cap on the WOD.  Of course my goal was to complete it but I didn't even finish round 4.

Eva

800m run
30 KB swing 1.5 pood
30 pull-ups
Time: 30:00 3 rnds +24 kb

Don't get me wrong, the swing and pull-ups were getting to me but not as much as the running.  I have not been running nearly as much as I used to and it shows.  I need to start incorporating endurance workouts again to fix that quick.

As this is girls week for Impavidus, Grace decided to drop by for a visit tonite.  When you first look at Grace you may think to yourself, oh, she's not so tough I can handle her no problem.  I'm sure some of you were surprised at how you didn't finish this WOD as fast as you thought.  After all, she is a Nasty Girl.

Grace

30 Clean and Jerk
Time 5:25

I was shooting for under 5 minutes.  I knew that I was capable of doing just that.  My problem was I took way too many breaks near the end.  With all of my cleans I did a power clean and with the jerks I just did a regular jerk not a split jerk.  The first 10 I did unbroken.  My thought was to do 3 sets of 10.  Well I got to 11 and was like hmmmmm I'm pretty sure my body just said screw that.  So I was trying to push for 5 reps.  Yeah I got 4 then I dropped the bar.  Knocked out 2 more reps.  The next was 3 sets of 2.  8 more reps to go and I did something stupid.  I looked at the clock.  It was at 4:06.  The next thing in my head was nooooo!  I didn't mean to look at it but I did.  Now I was in a rush to try to get those last 8.  Obviously that didn't work out and I ended up doing them one at a time.  I'm not saying my time was bad but I know I could have pushed harder.  At least I was able to keep good form and getting my elbows under quickly.  After Grace was done, we did a 2 minute max double under.  I could not keep my rhythm tonite.  I actually had to stop to tie my shoe.  I ended up only getting 150.

On a side note, as I promised Coach Jerry, Here is a pic of me doing a handstand in San Diego.  Note the horrible form.  I did get up though!  Practice, practice, practice.....

No comments:

Post a Comment