26 July, 2011

26 July 2011

So yesterday I had the privilege of working out at CrossFit SoCal.  I have to admit I was a bit nervous.  Not so much at the workout but because it was a new place that I had never been to and wasn't sure what to expect.  So when we pulled up the first thing I saw was a woman pulling a sled with a guy sitting on it.  I was like well I have not seen that one before!  When I walked in a lot of the athletes and coaches came up and introduced themselves welcoming me.  It made me feel like I was right at home. As I walked in to my right I see this huge box with 7 names written on it.  The box itself has a name.  The name is Misery.  I completely understand why!  I'm not sure how tall it is, but I know it's over 40''.  As I look forward they have several wooden rings hanging from the roof, 4 ropes, and a pull up bar contraption that has several levels.  You start at the bottom and then kip up to grab the bar above.  It was really fun!  They have racks elevated on a wooden platform with rubber mats on top.  More medicine balls then I could count and they had different colors as well and a good chunk of the walls in the front are whiteboards. 

How they have their sessions is a little bit different.  Instead of everyone coming in at 1830 and all doing the WOD together, it is more like groups of people go at a time.  When we were there one group was getting ready to start.  While they were WODing, we were warming up.  The warm up is for the most part the same.  You walk in and start your warm up.  They have the warm up written on one of the whiteboards.  After you complete it you will do some sort of skill.  By skill I mean it can be tabata hollow rocks, sprints, row.  Then they will work on a lift, and begin the WOD after. Guess what our skill was?  Tabata hollow rocks.  I have done tabata WODs before but never as a skill and never with hollow rock.  Essh my core was not to happy with me!

The WOD yesterday worked on something we don't use a lot of at CFI, the rope.  Not just one or two rope climbs either!  With the amount of climbs, I knew the wrap around approach was not going to cut it.  At SoCal they only teach the J-hook.  Coach Nick showed us how to perform the hook and had us each try.  My problem was I was placing my right foot directly on top of my left and not crossing them which wasn't allowing me to really get a tight grip.  I practiced for a few to get the hang of it. 

Roping Fran

21  Thrusters 95#
9  Rope climb
15  Thrusters 95#
6  Rope climb
9  Thrusters 95#
3  Rope climb
Time: 16:54


Coach Nick was great.  He was there pushing you to get that next thruster or to get up the rope and to not quit.  "The WOD doesn't stop until you're done!"  I heard another guy say something like you get water when you're done! I believe I even heard pick up that bar and 3..2...1..GO!  It was awesome!
This was a great WOD.  It certainly made me work.  As soon as I hit that last climb at the top I just let go and fell to the ground.  While I was able to get the j-hook down, I still need to continue to practice as I was using my arms a bit on the climb and I paid for it.

Looking forward to WODing with them for the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment