21 September, 2011

Technique

Check out the video my friend Jennifer made with the pictures from FGB with CrossFit 717!



Since I ran out of time for the last two posting I figured I'd make a post with details.

19 September 2011

For the Back squat I noticed something I was doing.  My knees were NOT tracking my feet!  I was not pushing my knees out.  With respect to form, that is no good.  Now this was not for all of the reps.  Like the last two.  The fact that I had 7 reps prior to them can also play a role.  That is one of the many things you need to look out for (in addition to keeping the lumbar curve, chest up, head neutral, get below parallel, keeping weight off toes, butt travels back and down, and not fully extending hips).  The funny thing is, the last time I did this lift the week before, I didn't even notice.  I honestly can't say if I did or did not let my knees go in.  I believe it is a combination of going to the Level 1 cert class and getting all of the invaluable information (with being called out for knees not tracking too), and just trying to become more aware of what my body is doing.  I'm telling you even if you don't want to be a coach, you should go to the class.  So much knowledge.  Unfortunately for me this means that as far as increasing the weight I am done with back squats.  Just like with deadlifts, my form needs to come first before I continue with increasing the weight.  Do I like it?  No way I want to lift heavy things.  Could I keep increasing the weight?  Sure but I will be only selling myself short in the long run plus adding potential to injure myself.  How do I fix it?  By making sure I have good form.  Having good form at lower weights will translate into good form at higher weights which will help me in lifting even more.  As one of my coaches (you should follow his blog he has many words of wisdom) said :

"Technique/mechanics is the foundation of ALL CrossFit WODs. If you don't have the mechanics down, you should not be adding weight. Nail the mechanics, and you'll nail the movement no matter what the load."
-CrossFitTAG

One thing I will be doing to help me is to record myself performing the lifts.  That will give me a chance to see myself and to help me see what to look for in others.  In addition, I will be sending the videos to a couple people so they can help me as well.  At this time I do not plan on showing them off but if there is enough people who actually want to say I may reconsider.  So with that in mind, this will be my last week for the CFSB program.  There was only a week left but since I'm not going to increase my weight at this time, this cycle has run its course.  I will still finish off this week with my all time favorite, the front squat and the shoulder press.  After this week is done, I will finish off with the CrossFit Total WOD.  What is CFT?

From the CrossFit Journal:

The CrossFit Total is the sum of the best of three attempts at the squat, the press, and the deadlift. All three lifts are done while standing on the floor. They require minimal and inexpensive equipment. They are not technique- dependent to the extent of the Olympic lifts, yet they require technical proficiency beyond mere passing familiarity. They are safe when performed correctly, since they can all be performed without spotters—alone in a garage if necessary.

There is no time limit for each lift or for the length of the session in which they are all performed, but they must all be performed during one session—i.e., you cannot leave the area to rest or perform other activities between the three lifts.

Anyone in a position to attempt a legitimate CrossFit Total should be familiar enough with their capabilities on the lifts to have a fairly good idea of just what might be possible for a one-rep max (1RM). This number is what you warm up intending to do. A meet situation will involve three attempts, and this is a good way to determine a true 1RM.

The first attempt would be a weight you know you can do for a heavy set of three. The second attempt would be a weight you know without any doubt that you could do for a single, having just done the first attempt. And the third attempt is the weight you want to do, based on your performance on the previous two attempts. 

__________________________________

Believe me I'm looking forward to doing this.  I can't wait to see where I am at now.

Now the next part of the 19th was a metcon.  This is actually a metcon I put together myself.  Overall I did like it (as much as you can like a WOD), and was thinking I may change it to 5 rounds.  Feel free to try it and let me know!  I'd love to get feedback.

20 September 2011

The weight did not increase with the deadlifts.  This was all about keeping form.  I felt that I was still keeping a nice lumbar cure with 315# but the video will tell me the truth.  No problems with the 195# as far as the weight goes.  I did try to not use switch grip and wow I need to work out not using switch grip more.  I say that because I just about dropped the bar.  I see now how much I am relying on that and I want to try to get away from it as much as possible especially with a lower weight.  Switch grip is when you have one hand facing the opposite direction as you are gripping the bar.  While it's not a bad thing, switch grip does not translate into other lifts.  Say for example a clean or a snatch.  For the AMRAP I got that one from The WOD Shop.  It's fun to have a WOD picked randomly for you.  While it may suck that whatever you have to do you are not a big fan of or you're not the best at, you need to suck it up and do it.  Not everyday are you going to have a workout that caters to your strengths and frankly do you really want to?  I mean yeah I love double unders and can do them all day but I would much rather have something I am weak in.  You have to work on your weaknesses plain and simple.  So get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment