03 July, 2012

PC and Jerk with Nancy

Oh my gosh could it be I am actually posting again!?  Shock I know.  Before I get to the WOD from yesterday....

So last nite it hit me that this month, July, is the last full month I will be here at home.  In the blink of an eye, this year has gone by.  There are many emotions that I am feeling about the whole situation.  I'm going to do my best to just relax and enjoy these last few weeks with friends and family.  Besides, it isn't forever and thankfully with today's technology, it really is easy to stay in touch though hand written letter still wins in my book.  Anyways.....

So the first part of the WOD last nite was establish a 1RM for power clean and jerk in 15 minutes.  You know honestly I have grown quite fond of the clean/power clean.  Maybe it's because I have been doing a lot more of them lately but honestly, they are really fun to do.  As with most people, I am constantly trying to improve my form so I can stop wasting effort and get more weight on the bar.  My biggest thing is not opening my hips at the top before pulling.  Now I am very aware that as it gets heavier, I tend to pull early.  I can feel it.  I continue to practice with lower weights to correct this because I know I could lift more.  Don't get me wrong, my hips are just about open, but just about is not fully.  I knew going into this that my max squat clean and jerk is 205# and my max power clean and jerk was 195#.  If we had fractional plates, I would have tried 196# but I have to go up in increments of 5#.  I started of with 135# and did that for several lifts and gradually built up from there.  I am happy to say I have a new PR for power clean and jerk.  200#!  Woo hoo!  Imagine what I could do if I opened my hips.

Next up on the list is one of the ladies of CrossFit, Nancy.  You know, this was the first time I had ever played with Nancy.  She did not disappoint either.  Overhead Squats is not one of my strong suits but it has greatly improved over the past year so I was confident I could knock her out in 14 minutes or less.

Nancy

5 rounds for time:

400m run
15 Overhead Squats 95#

Time: 12:54


I didn't just beat my goal, I crushed it!  I was very shocked.  I broke up my OHS in sets of 3 for the 4th and 5th round but I did not put the bar down.  I know that made a difference.

After doing Nancy, I thought, I want to try to get as many ladies done before I leave so that is my next goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment