11 July, 2012

Kelly and back squats

Typically I will post about my WOD from the day before but since I worked out this AM, I figured I would go ahead and write something up for both yesterday and today.  Lets start with the WOD for today.

Kelly
5 RFT
400m run
30'' box jump 24/20''
30 Wall ball 20/14#
Time: 22:16

Honestly going into this workout I thought this was my first dance with her.  I didn't remember 2 stepping with her back in March and again in May of 2011.  See this is why it is very important to keep track of all of your workouts!  Not only can you see what you have done, but you can see how well you did AND see your improvement.  I can't say enough how much I love Beyond the Whiteboard.  They are a great tool to help you with keeping track of your CrossFit workout history complete with charts and many more things.  If your box does not provide it to you, I would purchase the yearly plan.  It is only $33!  Anyways, so I did not check on BTWB and assumed (shame one me) this was my first time.  I was wrong.  On the plus side, I PR'd by 4:14!  I didn't have a set goal other than to complete this workout well under 30.  The first set was fine.  I was able to go unbroken with everything.  As I started the second round, I decided that I was going to break up the wall balls by 20/10.  The box jumps were never a problem.  Finishing up the wall balls on the second round I could already tell that I was not going to keep the 20/10 split so I would try for a 20/5/5.  Yep that didn't work either.  I ended up doing 15/10/5.  Luckily for the other rounds I was able to keep the 15 but the rest were broken into 5.  I knew that the wall ball was going to be my downfall on this so when I wasn't doing those, I really focused on making up time with the run and the box jumps.  Not to say I was dogging the wall balls, but I knew I could push more with the other two.  I think it worked to my advantage.  I was extremely happy when I hit the wall for the last time with the ball.  So much so that my legs collapsed underneath me under the rig as I was walking.  A very nice sweat angel was born!  So I asked Coach Nick what was his weakness was going into this and his quote was "Everything after round 3."  I thought that summed up Kelly nicely.



10072012

First on the list was back squats.  While my favourite is still the awesome front squat, I have learned to appreciate the back squat more in recent months.

5x3 Back Sqaut  90% 3RM 90 sec. rest between sets
Load: 265# for all sets

Thanks to Coach Nate for correcting my form.  I had my thumb wrapped around the bar for the low bar back squat.  D'oh!  So that's why my wrist was bent....the funny part (or not) is Lori told me the same thing a few days prior.  I felt very solid at the bottom and was really focusing on keeping my knees out as I have a tendency to let them buckle in as the weight increases.  This was a lot more taxing on my body than I had anticipated but that is a good thing for sure.

For time:

30 KB Snatches 53#
800m run
30 KB Snatches 53#
Time: 8:03

For the snatches I did alternating.  The first set of snatches I finished in 2:30.  I was planning on the run taking about 3:00-3:10 minutes.  Didn't quite make that.  It was more like 3:25.  The second set of snatches I felt a lot more solid and actually thought I had knocked them out faster than the first set but it was 0:18 slower from the first set.  Still though, no complaints overall.  I did not leave either part of the workout thinking I could have pushed harder.  Now I need to work on not letting the KB smash into my forearm.  I have a nice reminder on both of them to help with that for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment