25 January, 2012

Training

As some of you know, I have been assisting the coaches as a trainer for the past several months.  This is to gain experience and knowledge in being able to become a coach in the future.  CFI put together an Instructor Development course.  This course was designed on how to become an effective teacher.  Creating lesson plans, how to deliver the plan through the different methods of learning, time management, things of that nature.  It was a very good class with valuable information that will help me to become a better coach and will also be used in the very near future when I ship out.  I was able to lead my first class (still a trainer not a coach yet) on Monday with Jerry.  The first class I was admittedly a bit nervous and was a little monotone.  The second class went better.  I had fun and can't wait to do it more.

230112

So my wrist/thumb area is still a little sore (two weeks so far) but it didn't feel horrible.  I decided to give some OHS a go.

OHS 5 x 5

115# for all

I still didn't want to push with the weight so I just kept it at 115#.  I could feel a little twinge near my thumb but I didn't think too much about it.  I wanted to do the metcon.

Jeremy

21-15-9
OHS 95#
Burpees
Time: 6:59

This is where things went downhill.  After the 21 OHS I dropped the bar and had a nice throbbing going on but I just ignored it.  Probably shouldn't have done that.  I then went down for my first burpee and as soon as my weight was on my palm it just started screaming.  I probably should have stopped but I didn't.  After I was done, I iced it down.  Probably set myself back now because of this.  So I decided that no more messing around I need this thing to heal and soon.  I'm taking a week off from using that area of my hand. I'm just going to modify as I need basically.

240112

Well what do you know my first day to modify!  Now the pain is when I put pressure on my palm near my thumb, extending it out.  Based on that, I had to modify the thrusters and the hang power clean from a bar to dumbbells.

12 minute AMRAP
5 Thrusters
7 Hang Power Clean
10 Deadlifts
Total: 9 +9 deadlifts
Rx: 95# for all
Mod: 30# dumbbells for thrusters and hang power clean

I have to say the urge to curl a dumbbell is very strong when doing a clean.  I really had to focus on form with that.  Thrusters were not a problem.  So shame on me for not listening to my body.  It's one thing to deal with some pain as a result of muscles being sore from a workout versus an actual injury.  Listen to your body!

No comments:

Post a Comment