20 January, 2012

More strength please!

17012012

So my wrist still being a little sore, I decided to continue with a deload strength day.  I was getting a little antsy though truth be told. I was ready to left some heavier weights but at the same time I don't want to further injure my wrist.  I decided to do Shoulder Press since that is one of my weaker lifts plus I had not done it in a while.

Should Press 3 x 5
115, 115, 115

I felt pretty good with that as well I should have!  Again, really focusing on the form making sure I had a tight midsection, ribs locked down, active shoulder at the top of the press, arms locked out, making sure the bar is traveling straight i.e. get my head out of the way.

Shoulder Press 12=>15
95# 12 reps

Not too much of a problem with this either.  My max is only 100# with this one so not a huge drop in weight.  I typically do this one right after a 3 x 5.

20-15-10
Push Press 95#
Box Jump 30''
Time: 6:54

I banged my knee on the box (which actually explains why my knee was hurting yesterday come to think of it), but otherwise it went well.  The first set of push press was unbroken.  I honestly thought all of it was going to be unbroken but yeah I was wrong.  15 was 8, 5, 2 and the 10 was 5 and 5.

19012012

Well today was all about strength and frankly I wasn't passing it up.  It has been almost two weeks with my wrist and I figured what the hell lets see what happens.  I got to the box early with Stevie and Conan was about to to an intro for 3 and asked if I could shadow him to which he said yes.  In addition, I was able to teach them the air squat which was a lot of fun!  I like going through the intro with the other coaches to get a feel for how they do it.  Good learning experience.

Shoulder Press 1-1-1-1-1
Push Press 3-3-3-3-3
Push Jerk 5-5-5-5-5
95, 115, 125, 135, 145 (PR)
115, 135, 145, 155, 175(f)
135, 155, 160, 160, 170 (PR)

Total weight moved: 6,165#

As you can see I got way ahead of myself with the last set of the push press.  I should have gone up by 5# at the most.  Had I remembered what my last time had been (serves me right for not getting it before the WOD), that's exactly what I would have done.  I would have ended up with 3 PR's instead of two and with no failure. 

My wrist felt fine after and when I got home I iced it down.  The real question was how was it going to feel today.  The answer to that is, no worse than it did prior to the workout.  I still had my appointment at Recharge and he used this, what I like to call, mini jackhammer to help with blood flow and to break things up.  They are the only place in Virginia that has one.  Lucky me.  Oh it does not feel good.  But I will gladly take some pain today if it means my wrist will heal that much faster and you know what?  It feels better after getting it done.  Tomorrow I will be going to the IDC (Instructor Development Course) and CrossFit Impavidus that Jerry and Conan created.  This is for the assistant trainers. 

"An IDC is meant to provide students with the basics of good instruction (adult learning techniques), how to organize and manage classes, and how to design, develop and deliver lesson plans.  The course is not meant to make you a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in any particular field (CrossFit, Firearms, Scuba Diving, Basket Weaving, etc.).  After completing an IDC, a potential trainer/instructor/coach should be able to put together and carry out a successful class, given the proper time to research the topic and rehearse.

The IDC will cover the various areas of instruction and how instructors can apply them to create a positive learning experience for their students, and helps build a strong foundation of educational knowledge for use when planning and delivering lessons. The general information covered in an IDC is applicable to all potential instructors/trainers/coaches, regardless of instructional specialty."

It's going to be a great time and I am looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment