23 March, 2011

Tabata Something Else

Happy Wednesday!  It really was a good day today.  I purchased some new shoes to replace my tattered and torn pair from last night, I got my wonderful package of Paleo Krunch Bars from Steve's Original, signed up for the Brambleton Ribbon Run/Walk 5k/10k under Team 'Ashburn CrossFit Impavidus', and of course I got a great workout at CFI!  What's not to like!?  Actually there is one thing.  Because I tore my callus off yesterday, I had to wear gloves today.  Not a big fan.  I did pick up a metal nail file though to shave down the rest and it worked really well.  On to the workout:

Tabata Something Else

Complete 32 intervals of 20 seconds of work followed by ten seconds of rest where the first 8 intervals are pull-ups, the second 8 are push-ups, the third 8 intervals are sit-ups, and finally, the last 8 intervals are squats.

Total: 310

What is Tabata you may ask?

A popular regimen based on a 1996 study[2] uses 20 seconds of ultra-intense exercise (at 170% of VO2max) followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated continuously for 4 minutes (8 cycles). In the original study, athletes using this method trained 4 times per week, plus another day of steady-state training, and obtained gains similar to a group of athletes who did steady state (70% VO2max) training 5 times per week. The steady state group had a higher VO2max at the end (from 52 to 57 ml/kg/min), but the Tabata group had started lower and gained more overall (from 48 to 55 ml/kg/min). Also, only the Tabata group had gained anaerobic capacity benefits. (wikipedia)




Look at those yummy paleo kits....




No comments:

Post a Comment